One of the single most stressful events that can occur in your life is the end of a relationship. If you have been separated for 12 months, we can apply for a divorce on your behalf with the Family Court of Australia.


We offer a fixed fee for your divorce application so you know exactly what the cost will be and can usually do so after speaking to you on the phone. Once we obtain some details from you and your marriage certificate we are able to process, file and serve your divorce quickly to help you move forward with your life. We have a relationship with a number of agencies that ensure that your divorce application get served upon your spouse in a timely manner.


What are the costs of an initial consultation?

We offer an initial consultation free of charge and without any obligation. We understand that it is important for you to be comfortable with the lawyer you choose to handle your sensitive matter.

At the initial consultation, our lawyers will be able to provide you with an estimate of the costs of your matter and give you an indication of the suitable ways in which your matter can be resolved.

When can I get a divorce?

You can make an application to the Family Court of Australia after you have been separated for a period of at least twelve months. However, you will not need to wait for this period for a property settlement.

Will a divorce deal with parenting arrangements and property?

A divorce application will not deal with parenting arrangements or a property settlement. A separate process deals with these issues. A divorce application is simply concerned with the dissolution of marriage.

How long does it take to get a divorce?

It generally takes approximately 12 weeks for a divorce application to be determined once it has been filed with the Court. Once the divorce is finalized the Court will forward a Sealed Order confirming the outcome of the application.

What if I cannot locate my spouse?

If, after your best efforts, you cannot locate your spouse, then an application to dispense with service or application for substituted service will need to be made. If an application for substituted service is granted, it is possible serve the application for divorce by email, facebook or any other appropriate means.

Can I get a divorce in Australia if I was married overseas?

The Court is able to grant a divorce provided that either yourself or your spouse are an Australian citizen, regard Australia as home, have an intention to live in Australia indefinitely or ordinarily resides in Australia, and has lived in Australia for the 12 months prior to the application for divorce.
If the marriage certificate is not in English, it will be necessary for it to be fully translated by an appropriately authorised person.
Show Comments